If you are trying to lose weight, don’t ever tell your friends about it.
They will try to
sympathise – why are you torturing yourself, poor you, eat something
be patronizing- you are not fat, you don’t need to lose
tempt you into submission- eat tempting food/ desserts in front of you or don’t worry, once in a while you can eat.
Better tell your enemies about it. They will snigger at you and taunt you in such a way that you will be determined to prove them wrong and re-double your efforts in losing weight and proving the enemies wrong.
It is important to select an exercising time suitable for yourself.
Some say it is easier to do it in the morning before the start of your day. The advantages being;
- you have had a long gap since your last meal so you need not worry about ensuring exercising on an empty stomach. However take a cracker or biscuit or small glace of juice or milk about 15 minutes before exercise. This fuels your body for better performance, settles the gastric juices and abates hunger.
- you also clear your stomach if you choose to and it is rewarding to see your weight minus the shit of the previous day when you reach the gym.
- you jump start the metabolism process and since you are active the entire day, it continues
- Improves mental energy, alertness and possibly controls appetite through out the day
- more fat burning if you do it in the morning because the body has used up all the carbs during the say and during the night while you sleep and morning you have only fat to offer at the alter of the gym
Flip side would be –
-if you wake up late, you get to miss exercise as obviously you wouldn’t want to miss office
-laziness- you don’t feel like getting out of bed
-you may need to rush up as you have to get back home to get ready for work/ get your kids ready
-warming up takes time and if you don’t do it right you may hurt yourself
The advantages of evening exercise;
1. de-stressing after the day’s activities
2. you are not hard-pressed for time – no tension of going to office
3.you are already in a warmed-up stage so exercise is optimized
4. the flip side being- you may be too charged up and alert till late in the night, you may find it difficult to stick to it if you are too tired or hungry to exercise, or you need to go out for a party in the evening and you may not have time to exercise.
CNN disagrees- but it is difficult to find time in the afternoon for work out. A second workout especially with weights in the afternoon is recommended to optimise the calorie burning. A good idea if the workplace could provide a basic gym facility (like my Mumbai branch office - hardly used though. Wish I was there to use it)
Eat at the right time to maximize the effect of controlled diet
- Never skip breakfast- breakfast helps jump start the metabolism by providing carbs to the body to burn
- If your first meal of the day is late, imagine the number of metabolic hours your body would have lost
- Eat lesser during the evening as your metabolism begins to slow down at that time. Try to finish your last meal by 7.30 pm.
- If you eat a huge snack / meal right before work out the blood gets confused- it’s like it has 2 bosses- it doesn’t know whether it needs to rush to the stomach to digest the food or to the exercising muscles and doesn’t do either job right.
- Don’t be hungry for too long after work –out- you need to replenish the body after the hard work
Check this for a good laugh