The Scorpios

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

BindiyArt

When Dipali talked about her Bindiya, I thought with a shrug- anyway I stopped sticking on the bindi on my forehead a long time ago so it does not matter what my views are.
Until recently when I wore this outfit- a typical high neck, embroidered 3/4th sleeve one which gave a tough corporate-ish lool. ;)...As I gave myself a once over in the mirror, checked my lipstick and hair tied tightly behind in reverence to the summer - I said to myself, a page-3 style black whacky bindi is lacking!
And then I remembered this diary back from my college days

The over enthu me who would take pains to get a friend painstakingly "draw" a different bindi everyday using an eyeliner! And then I would go on to record the design for posterity!

And then I discovered the computer bindis- the black pre-cut bindis in such designs and used them with great abandon as my drawing skills are too limited.

When "health awareness" happened I came to the conclusion that only Shilpa bindis are good as the sticker used in them is clinically tested. So henceforth it was just round bindis which became very boring and started causing a white mark on the forehead... so the bindi was chucked out cold turkey.

Until today when I decided- why not try my hand at drawing the bindi-

So here is the first one...self designed and drawn!

23 comments:

How do we know said...

hey its really turned out great!!

Artnavy said...

very pretty

VJ said...

itchy,
I had a notebook with designs too !!!that was long long ago.. dont even knw where the book is now!
your designs are lovely.. maybe should start trying them again !!

AA_Mom said...

Eyeliner bindis I did it too. 87-88 is sooo long ago...you haven't lost your touch

Tejas has your eyes

Itchingtowrite said...

AA_MOM- no no not 87-88 - the diary is an old one
it was 93-94 actually

Rohini said...

Very cool. I don't even have a skill to draw the eye line - with the pencil even :(

Devasena Hariharan said...

design looks like an olympic torch bearer, nice work. Great that you had time and patience during the morning hours-:)

Sue said...

LOL! You look so pretty, Itchy.

It's easy, na, drawing your own? I draw one line and base the rest of the design around it.

Monika said...

oh very pretty i used to draw them too

may be i should get inspired and start again too

Itchingtowrite said...

it's actually fun
i loosely base the designs on the prints on what I am wearing.. and yeah draw a basic dot or curve or line and just follow your heart!

ro - actually practice and u will be fine- at one point i cud not move the eyeliner on the forehead at all...

AA-mom- ah i love u for saying tejas has my eyes- i always thot so- nobody agreed

Sands said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sands said...

That looks so pretty. Can I borrow some of your designs one of these days? :)

Saya said...

Hey.. thats a lovely bindhi.. and a very nice kurta.. where is the kurta from btw?

By Deepa and Supriya said...

gawd..i had this habit of scribbling bindi art...all thru my college yrs too :)

very nice I must say!

will do the tag in a couple!

The Kid said...

oooh... you have very pretty eyes :)

Itchingtowrite said...

sands- off course- they r not copyrighted yet! but if i do copyright them i expect u to carry my trademark along with the design on your forehead!!!!

saya- from a store in gurgaon

kid- thanks!! wish my husband wud say that more often!

Mama - Mia said...

OMG! and to think i cant draw this stuff even with a pencil!

great stuff Itchy!

cheers!

abha

Andy said...

Hey I liked wht u wore to lunch the other day...that was really different and catchy!!

Unknown said...

Lably eyes. The bindi??? I dont know. I'm not a bindi or kurti person maybe thasswhy...

But lovely soft warm eyes, itchy.

dipali said...

What Kiran said- lovely eyes. the bindi's looking good too:)

The Inquisitive Akka said...

Great and I have to agree with the rest, you have lovely eyes!

Neha said...

New Styles of bindis. Great I will suggest it to my relatives. They are looking really nice.

JLT said...

Very cool, Itchy! and agree with the rest- you have lovely eyes. :-)