The Scorpios

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, June 19, 2009

My Terrariums

Inspired by this desert terrarium I made my own- partly because I had a terracota pot that was gathering dust all the while and I had not been able to drill a hole underneath for using as a pot and partly because I had a set of cacti that could be effectively used here and partly because this seemed the easiest of the lot for me the klutz.
The steps I followed-
1. Fill the pot with pebbles- the ugliest and the most shapeless ones that I could find in my garden as these are not going to be visible.
2. Put a layer of activated carbon bought at the aquarium store.
3. Instead of sphagnum moss I used coconut husk- and contrary to popular believe I really did not find it in just any shop- had to scout for a shop that had stocked the coconut with little bits of husk still stuck to it

4. Layer the soil

5. Plant 3 varieties of cacti, 1 kalanchoe and 1 fast growing plant for contrast

6. Find the first available animal and place it there - only to be retrieved by the kids the next day

7. Place the pretty pebbles in between the plants and sprinkle a layer of sand to go with the desert theme
8. Protect the pot from over watering by enthu kids
Here's another one- the intention being to make it a part of the husbands liquor cabinet. I am no particularly impressed with it but let's see if it flourishes inside the bottle.

And this one in a cracked borosil jug. Again I find the jug too small to be significant. As of now this is under observation. So far so good. Let me test whether my theory and practical marks match so I could move on to larger bowls and more plants!


4 comments:

Monika said...

OMG, you have talent girl!! Keep it up! Lovely arrangements. I hope they all grow to your satisfaction :)

Lavs said...

First MAdmomma next you...You girls make me so jealous of your talents...Good luck for the terrariums....

AMIT said...

Wow it looks wonderful.Nice way for doing so.

Lingerie Bookmark

AMIT said...

Very nice pics shared.

Lingerie Bookmark