The Scorpios

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

When my heart came in my mouth

We have a centre table with a glass top. Ojas & Tejas were playing on it and I was having a tough time trying to prevent them from jumping on it, sitting right next to them on a sofa. For a few seconds, I got diverted with the live show on TV and trying to holdTejas in my lap who was asking for "Godi". And crash. I turn my head and find Ojas lying in a nest of broken glass. I was scared to pull him out for fear of hurting him further. I managed to pull him out and at a first glance we could see no blood. And then he started bleeding from various places. There is a semi deep cut on the calf and minor cuts all over his leg and buttock. Nothing severe but I was shaking for a while, blamin myself for not being vigilant enough. Blaming myself for not stopping them strictly and getting diverted by the TV. Blaming Hubby for not putting the glass away when I told him to do so the last time. Blaming myself for having the glass table at all in the house.
He recovered pretty soon and I found both of them discussing the accident. Pointing at the frame of the table and making sounds of the glass breaking.
This is the 2nd time Ojas has managed to do it. He has broken a side table before.

Last night, Ojas was having a shell shaped plastic key chain piece with him. He was just clutching it tightly in his fingers and refusing to give it to me. I was waiting for him to sleep as he normally falls asleep within 10 minutes of the lights going off, and planned to take it from his hands after that. Both normally keep single keys/ coins in their hands and they never put them inside their mouth. Unluckily, I began drifting to sleep before he slept and suddenly I heard a choking sound from Ojas. My impulsive reaction was to poke my finger in and try prying out the stuck object. And just in time I put him on his tummy and hit hard on the back of the neck. He began screaming and I guess that the object must be out. I groped in the dark and found the objct thankfully. Shit, how could I be so careless and how could I assume that he will not push stuff into his mouth. I could not sleep for a long time and ignoring Tejas I was hugging him tight for quite some time. After that I asked him sarcastically, do you want to put anything in your mouth, he said "na na". Lesson well learnt.

Both do not like to have room temperature water. They say "na na" " thanda pani" and point at the fridge.
The latest is that the say and then do not simply point at the fridge. They pull out the bottle of cold water and close the fridge door with much more than necessary force and give it to me to pour out for them. And they check the temperature of the water before drinking by feeling the glass surface. Today he pulled the bottle in such a manner that he managed to pull of the rack above the bottle rack and in the process dropped all the garlic paste/ jam/ chutney bottles lined up on it and the bottle too as a finale. Thankfully nothing was broken.
I have noted that they tell each other "stupid", "shut up", 'shit" in the same vein in which they say "aay Got" (Oh my God) - culprit me turning red with shame and making lot of noise, hoping no one realizes that this is what they are saying. Since I am the only one who is able to decipher their language, and not engrossed in TV too much to miss their idle chatter completely, it makes it easier for me to mask what they are saying.
They try to connect 3 words as I have taught them Dadda, Please, Shoes.

8 comments:

Sukhaloka said...

Good heavens, glad they're safe. The twins have been having quite an accident-prone time of late, haven't they?

Good luck on the vocabulary score, and also hoping the accidents stop soon.

Collection Of Stars said...

That was so scary - 2 accidents in a row. Is Ojas doing all right now?
We got new furniture when I was carrying and I would not allow hubby to buy even one piece with glass. And the choking one, I have nightmares about it all the time.
Take care and don't be too hard on yourself.

Unknown said...

Oh God, that must have been a nightmare for you...I know exactly how scary that can be. We too have a glass centre table, that brat insists on climbing and jumping from because I forbid him....*Hugs* hope he is alright now...

Itchingtowrite said...

thanks kiran/ collection of stars/ suki for the enquiries. Ojas is doing fine now...

Krishnapriya said...

hey..thats a lot they've managed to do!! I am in Chennai right now and the kids are off to school with her..they already end up bossing around like the principal's grandsons!! BTW, the name is 'TALENT TIME', TSK Nagar, Mogappair. Contact Mrs. Leela Ramaoorthy, 09940083027. I don't know the exact address. All the best for your school search.

Anusha said...

whoa! really scary. the choking one has happened so many times with Kodi, it is not even funny anymore. and you'd think I'd learn...

thank goodness there were no serious damages (to the kids) in either incident.

~nm said...

Hey! I hope he's doing ok now? And so are you! Reminds me of an incident just about 2 months ago with Anirudh crashing the side table glass top.

I think I was more scared than he was! It took me longer to come out of the shock than him!

Sue said...

Oh, that sounds horrible. Please don't blame yourself, though. You really can't anticipate everything they will do, now, can you? That too, two boys together!

Ojas is ok now?