Err when in Madras, be a Madrasi. And I ahem proudly present how I am so becoming a Madrasi!
1. I have actually started liking ellai sapad (banana leaf food served in functions)- So much so I lament if the spread is not grand enough. There were days when I would walk out of a wedding dinner and into another restaurant to eat my fill.
2. I feel glad that I live in Chennai- be it easy traffic and distances, safety, school admissions, affordable homes.
3. My kids are learning Carnatic
4. First I started liking Surya, then Vikram... now what? No one can save me now.
5. The other day I was "reading" a story to the kids in Tamil- ore Kutti puli irka ....(Takdir the kutti puli was the book)
6. I can crack pun jokes in Tamil- Example-
Someone- What happens if this flavour is tried in a Marie biscuit
Me- it will become Ore Maaaaaari (meaning- typical, not so great type- ah well, I can't explain- you need to understand Tamil for that)
7. See 6 above- While translating a tamil joke I have told you in a superior manner- cannot explain- rather you will not understand
8. I can watch a Tamil movie without asking husband to translate each and every dialogue, sound or expression. In fact I have even reviewed a Tamil movie on this blog- a two line one but still, it counts
9. And how could I forget? The process started 6 years ago, the moment I bought "own house" in Chennai.
10. I make sundal during navratri. Slurp
11. edited to add- I have a shoe rack outside my house now.