Of Live Mint sharing our thought so bloging about our kids, posting their pictures and whether or not we violate their privacy that way.
I reproduce the article here also.
The baby bloggers
From the time their baby got potty-trained to his first scrawl to any number of photos of his growing years--blogging parents can’t seem to stop talking about their tots. Is this an invasion of a child’s privacy? Or is it just the baby album updated in the digital era? Four bloggers tell us what they think:
It is a virtual scrapbook of a child’s growing years
I have been blogging about my twin sons for eight months now. I find it easier to type what I feel rather than write it down in baby scrapbooks or journals. Writing a journal can be limiting, but with a blog I have been able to do so much more in
terms of pictures, recording events etc. I don’t think writing a blog about your children is an invasion of their privacy. For me, this blog is more about me as a mother and the person I am as I bring up them up. I want my sons to know me as this woman 20 years down the line when they read the blog and are able to understand all that went into bringing them up. Also, this is a platform for me to connect with other mothers.
This is my way of making a memory scrapbook for my son. It is a record of his antics, his conversations with me, his images and all the little things he does. If it were not for this blog, I would have forgotten these stories. I used to worry about uploading pictures and about sickos seeing them, but now I believe that you can’t always live in fear. Also, with a blog you have the option to put checks in place. If I don’t like a comment, I can delete it; if at some point I feel that the blog is attracting the wrong kind of traffic, I will make it private.
*Name withheld on request
It is an invasion of a child’s right to privacy
I am, and always have been, against blogging about one’s kids even though I am a parent. It is a violation of their privacy. Once they grow up, how will you tell your kids not to post their pictures online when you have been doing that? Are these mothers really unaware of paedophiles lurking on the Web? You keep only 10% of your child’s identity private by not revealing his/her name and your address but violate the rest 90% by posting pictures. Paedophiles do not need names, they need pictures. Remember the times when your parents asked you to sing a song in front of the guests, but you wanted to go hide under the table? Some of these blogs are just that, but in front of the whole online world.
I have one child and I feel that my life with my child should not be up for public consumption. I blog to have another life from the one I live every day. If I continue to bring my child into my online world, I would have no reason to blog. Parents have a responsibility towards their children and must decide how vulnerable they make them to stalkers or to those who might use images without their consent.
Also, if you blog to create a memory scrapbook, keep it offline. I think anyone who starts a blog wants readers and that’s why private online journals don’t work for them.