The Scorpios

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 24, 2008

On Why Am I going all Emotional

One Day they will grow up and there will be no more impromptu holding up of their arms and urging me- "mamma godi" (mamma lift me)
Or their casually coming and sitting on my lap without any second thoughts.
Or an obliging hug or a "puchch kissie"- kiss on the lips
Or the quarrel for mamma's lap or sleeping on mamma's tummy in the night.
Though we try to give equal share of love and attention to both Ojas & Tejas, there is no denying of the fact that while we parents get double the fun in bringing them up, their share of parent's attention and "me time" is halved by luck & design.
Cannot fault them for quarreling with each other & punching each other when one has bagged the lap and the other wants to sit too. Or disliking it when we try to lift both of them and give them a "double ride".
Last month they started school. I had to come to terms with the fact that there would be strangers taking care of my little babies. 3 hours each day they would be doing things about which I wouldn't know ever.
There will be day they may have to leave home/ city and move to a hostel and then onwards if they decide to work for someone. I have lots to let go off. Lots to learn. Lots to give up.
Their home, their parents will become one comforting base on whom or which to rely upon. Their roots to hold them on while they soar for newer horizons. Their homing nest while they explore the big wide world.
I will have to learn to set them free instead of clinging on to them in my selfish motherhood.
This post is to remind me to cherish each moment as they come by, to hold them and commit to memory (or blog memory), to indulge their childish simple requests becuase they would not be coming for long and to let go when the time comes and not hang on to the memories of past.
So when those arms go outstretched and the face is screwed in a ready-to-cry mode-if-mamma-refuses and the tiny mouth utters- "godi", I drop everything and oblige them and hug them to my chest. I savour the tiny, warm body clinging to me, I feel their tiny gallopping heart beats against me and hold them close, tightly, soaking in the feeling, committing to memory for posterity.
I wonder- when the principal is giving so much pleasure, what about the interest?
Fingers crossed!

8 comments:

Monika said...

very very touching & all so true. IN our busy lives, we really sometimes fail to savour these beautiful moments in life...

Minka said...

The interest is when they come to back to the same godi when their first crush breaks their heart or when everything around them seems to be against them.

Seriously, I have been told by so many mothers to smother them with hugs and kisses at this age coz soon, they'll be asking to be done with the physical expressions and what will we addicted mothers do then.

WaitingforSunshine said...

Awww.. Hugs..

Itchy I need some help from you.. I am sending you a mail..hope you reply..many thanks :)

Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding sexist ... girls cling and cuddle longer, boys soon start getting embarrassed about the hugs. At first they want them in private, where there are no witnesses, and then do away with them totally. That is until the cruel world gets to them and they need Momma. Enjoy them, this time is very precious.

Cuckoo said...

Yes, my baby is only 6 weeks old and I feel he is growing up too fast already! Have fun while the hugging lasts. Then the fun will remain, only the shape would change. You'll have great fun taking them out on holidays to adventure spots and theme parks!

Anonymous said...

Mausi too savours those hard to get baby hugs and the jumping into godi with full rights!

Mystic Margarita said...

So true. The thought of kids growing up and of letting them go is so painful. God knows how it'll feel like when the time comes.

Mama - Mia said...

aye aye captain! :)

its so sotrue! and we have every reason to be emotional about these precious moments! :)

cheers!

abha